Monday, 7 July 2014

My top 3 Favourite investigations so far

''What Similarities and differences are there in early language acquisition of twins/siblings?''


  • This investigation would focus on child Language Acquisition
  • The data i would collect would be from home video of myself and sisters (triplet sisters) noting and making observations about the language used between us
  • The data may not necessarily be the right data i need for this investigation, I would need quite a lot of me and my sisters talking directly to each other or other people, there will be a lot of other people in the videos including family and friends who might overpower the recordings
  • However i think this a unique and interesting investigation which is very personal to myself and could produce some interesting findings.
  • The language issues i could investigate could be the actual language development of myself and my sisters, who develops quicker, who can communicate the best, are there any similarities in our language etc.
  • The first stop I need to go about collecting the data is to find the videos and start watching them to see if they are suitable for my investigation.

"How was the language and style of news reporting changed during the last 100 years?''


  • This investigation would focus on Language change over time
  • The data i would collect would most likely be from offline, on newspaper websites etc.
  • It might be hard to found a reliable legitimate source showing a real News report from the actual time period I need.
  • However it will provide a lot of solid evidence for me to work on in the investigation
  • I could investigate the audiences the reports are targeted at, and how they are portrayed to specific people, I could investigate specific language features that have changed and so on.
  • My first steps to go about collecting this data would be to search online for a reliable source to which i can find a real article or report, find two good reports that are of the same context and are aimed at the same social class.

''How is Dominance and Status shown in domestic, social or professional discourse''

  • This investigation would focus on power in language
  • The data I would collect would probably be from real life observations, this investigation offers me a wide range of ideas i could use.
  • Its a topic which provides me with a lot of variety and allows my to go into a lot depth as we studied it in great detail at AS 
  • However it might cause problems due to having observing a group of people, with them knowing you are recording/videoing them this might introduce demand characteristics, natural conversation doesn't flow as easily and can become awkward. But if a group didn't know you were recording them this might bring up some ethical issues.
  • The language issues i could investigate could be anything from who holds the power and how they keep this dominance to the power struggle between people within the group and how this is achieved
  • The first steps I need to do about getting this data is too decide what group of people I want to use for example, a group of friends, work colleagues (at my job), parents when arguing/discussing. once I have decided I need to record this conversions and make observations about the language use. Gather evidence to use in my investigation




No comments:

Post a Comment