Observers paradox is the difficulty of gaining examples of real language data, when the presence of an observer or contrived situation might change the way people would normally use language,
Due to my investigation containing only home videos, I can not unfortunately avoid Observers paradox, as the data I need has already been obtained and cant be recreated. The participants in my own home videos I will be using know throughout that they are being filmed which may in fact lead to demand characteristics from the specific people.
However the only people I am specifically observing and transcribing in these videos is myself and my triplet sister from very early ages, due to the young age, confidence and creativeness of children I don't think observers paradox will be as much of an issue as it would be with a teen or fully grown adult. I will find this out when looking through more of the videos.
There are no Ethical issues involved in my investigation due to the data being my own home videos, however I still had informed consent from both my parents and sisters to use this data to avoid any issues. Also due to all the videos having me and my sisters in at very early ages, naturally there is no offensive or taboo language used.
No comments:
Post a Comment